The WOCNCB® has established an Inactive Status for certified nurses who decide not to recertify due to personal illness, injury, a catastrophic natural disaster, responsibilities as a caregiver, or relocation that has kept them from fulfilling the requirements for recertification, and who may wish to return to certified status within three (3) years.
Nurses taking Inactive Status will not be certified while under this status and the certification designation (i.e. CWON®) cannot be used after the nurse’s name (i.e. on a clinical practice sign off, resume, etc.).
Applications for Inactive Status will be considered by the WOCNCB® Board of Directors within 30 days of receipt of an application. If approved, Inactive Status will be granted for one (1) three (3) year period. The inactive period cannot be extended beyond a single three year period.
To apply for Inactive Status, a nurse must:
- Have an active WOCNCB® certification
- Submit an application at least 30 days prior to certification expiration for all active certifications that the nurse currently holds. Applications can be submitted by email, fax or mail.
- Pay an application fee of $50 per certification.
If a WOCNCB® nurse with Inactive Status would like to return to active status within three (3) years from the date Inactive Status was granted, a nurse must:
- Complete 50 CEs for each specialty credential within three (3) years of application date to return to active status
- Have an active RN license
- Pay the current application fee for each certification
- Pass the certification exam for each certification