New PGP Requirements Starting January 2024
Continuing Education (CE/CME/CNE):
- Minimum of 10 points in specialty
- Maximum of 10 points professional practice
- Professional practice CEs are not required
- Maximum of 40 points
Practice hours are within the role of WOC and FC nurse (Direct patient care, Academia, Industry, Administrative/management)
- 2,000 practice hours per 5 years/per specialty = 40 points
- 1,000 hours per SPECIALTY per 5 years = 20 points
- 500 hours per SPECIALTY per 5 years = 10 points
- 250 hours per SPECIALTY per 5 years = 5 points
Teaching/Research/Writing/Volunteer Activities/Projects examples:
|40 points:||textbook author, textbook editor|
|20 points:||QI Project, journal article author, precepting, IRB grant writing|
|10 points:||teaching, research/authoring/reviewing, professional/facility organizations, volunteer work|
|5 points:||programs & projects at your facility, writing articles, developing competency based or educational tools|
How will this affect you?
Submitting a Portfolio in 2023
- You will still use the existing PGP points structure.
- Due to submit a portfolio between 9/1/2023 and 12/31/2023? If you want to use the new points structure, you can request a credential extension to file in the first quarter of 2024.
- August 31, 2023: Last day to create an account in the current PGP system and submit a portfolio in 2023.
Submitting a Portfolio in 2024 & Beyond
- You will use the new PGP points structure.
- You will be able to count CE, and projects/activities that occurred in the past 5 years after earning your most recent certification – as long as they meet the criteria in the 2024 PGP Handbook.
- Have you started a portfolio in the existing system and plan to submit after 1/1/2024? You can download your content to enter into the new system.
- June 30, 2023: Last day to add activities to portfolios that will be submitted 1/1/2024 or later.
- January 1, 2024: New PGP online system opens